Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil, and let us see what we are made of. ~Charles Spurgeon

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Seeking Counsel

Again I was reading this guys blog as I usually do and this is how he started his reply letter to a pastor.


"Preliminarily, I should address an antecedent issue. Although I will express my opinion, you of course have to come to your own conclusions. Having a good conscience about the text doesn’t require agreement with others; it requires being faithful to pursue truth at all costs to the best of your abilities. To be sure, you want to seek the counsel and input of various experts. But when the day is done, you have to stand before God and tell him how you see your views as in harmony with Holy Writ. In other words, I never want you to feel any kind of intimidation or pressure from me or anyone else about your handling of the text. I do of course want you to feel a great duty (as you always have) to the Lord in the handling of his word. At bottom, all of us have to give an account of ourselves to the Lord, and any human loyalties will have no standing before him."


Humility and such a wise response!  Such a great reminder to me as I am constantly learning from man.  It is my responsibility to seek much counsel and most importantly what Gods word says.


I recently had a conversation with a friend about, you know, those difficult topics no one wants to talk about.  I was telling her it amazes me that most people don't like to be in those uncomfortable conversations.  You are practically shunned if you dare go there.  I  did say though in defense to those who don't want to go there..."I think sometimes people don't have enough knowledge regarding those uncomfortable topics and it may make them feel insecure.  opps, My bad.

And this is why I love her.  She said to me..."it's just as sinful to be unknowing"  


I shamefully admit that in my past my attitude was... If it worked for them, it will work for me. Hey, at least I was following godly people, right?  So it must be a good decision.  Unfortunately, I rarely sought God's counsel.  I was unknowing in my own decisions.  I trusted the decisions of others.  Not that I would have made a different choice but the root issue was I was lacking and lazy in my own knowledge.


 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.  Proverbs 12:15

Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.  Proverbs 15:22


Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end. Proverbs 19:20


21 There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.
 

For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety.  Proverbs 24:6


Show me the areas foul to your word Lord.




No comments:

Post a Comment