Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil, and let us see what we are made of. ~Charles Spurgeon

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Food Bags

A while back the girls and I, for a home school project, made food bags.  The girls wrote a verse on the bag, filled it with food and then we kept them in the car so we would always be prepared if we happen to come across someone in need.
We ran out of the bags a while ago and I had been really wanting to make more bags but had not got around to doing it.  This time though, not only did I want to make bags but I really had a desire to seek out those in need but was not sure what that looked like for the girls and I since it probably would not be safe for us to do on our own.  So I prayed about it.  Not to long ago I was having a conversation with a friend of mine in our home fellowship...she shared with me a similar desire.  So we bought some food, put our bags together and went out!  I can't tell you how much it blessed me!!!
I won't go into great detail but God did lead us to some precious people in need.  We have already visited them twice.  My husband went the second time to meet them.  If you are reading this right now please please say a prayer for Mary, John, Gabby, and Curtis.  Their situations are heart breaking.  All non related.  They just know each other from being on the streets.  To give you an example...Gabby graduated high school last year, she is from a broken home and is already out on the streets.  She is a very sweet girl with big dreams.  We had the privilege to share the Lord with them and pray over them.  We are very excited to go back and visit with them more.   As of right now they sleep in the back corner of an abandoned parking lot on blankets. 
The conversations we have had with our girls have been so deep, so eye opening and to hear them pray for these lost souls...there is nothing like it. 


I love love this song.  I can't even begin to tell you what it does in my heart.  When I was young I use to pray that it would not be the Lord's will for me to be a missionary (i know you all laugh cause you use to pray the same thing...well okay, not all of you).  Now, I would love it if He chose to send us.  I know you guys are giggling because you all know how much I love my make-up, home decorating and shopping....I can't begin to tell you really how much that stuff does not mean to me.  It means nothing to me but a little fun. There are times I despise all of that stuff when I think about the unfathomable number of people in need of Christ.  I don't want any of those earthly things to become waisted thoughts or time.  And I get it, it's not my stuff that is preventing lost souls from coming to Christ.  It humbles me though and I am so thankful for my blessings.  I don't deserve any of it.  Most importantly... I don't deserve my eternal destination. 

We are going to go back this week to visit our new friends.  Please pray for them...and for us.  I am not their savior...I cannot change their life (as much as my heart aches to provide for all their needs)...pray that we would share well with them and point them in the direction to the One who can.

UPDATE: 11/1/2011
We went out today to visit with our friends and they were gone.  We were sad but we totally trust God in this.  We prayed in the car that God would lead us...in particular, my heart was praying for Gabby.  We were led to more new friends in need and we had a chance to talk with them for a bit.  Another sad situation...husband and wife on the streets.  She was very protective of herself and stuff.  It was evident she has had a hard past.  She had some understanding about Christianity.  She has encountered some weird "god stuff" on the streets with others sharing and wanting to force things on them.  It was a great opportunity to share about the true Christ and the freedom He offers.  It was really sad to see the way this lady viewed herself...almost unlovable.  Then it was a miracle what happened next.  Driving aimlessly around we happen to see Curtis walking across the street and this was not a street that was close to where we had met him in the first place. I do not believe in coincidences or accidents! God is sovereign in EVERYTHING!  Curtis informed us that Gabby had a warrant out for her arrest and she was now in jail.  John too was arrested.  Please pray.  My friend and I are going to try to visit Gabby in jail this week.  I do believe with all of my heart the Lord has lead us to her.  I am not sure why but I want her to know we care and most importantly, Christ cares!  Please please pray if you are reading this!

1 comment: