Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil, and let us see what we are made of. ~Charles Spurgeon

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Craig's List, An Ocean of Opportunity

I love how gracious the Lord is when He points out how self focused I can be.  I get a little too excited about the great deals to be had and get a wee bit wrapped up in MY intentions in the moment.  My focus seems to shift.  I get somewhat of an addictive high when I find such good deals and unfortunately today's high came at the expense of another.  That high suddenly became such a huge huge low.

So to back up a bit...earlier today I found some AMAZING deals on Craig's list.  I was so excited for the price and the furniture I was about to get.  The prices were so fabulously low and I knew the potential they had, wa-hoo score for me.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new pieces.  The girls and I hitched the trailer and set out for our first stop.  I met a nice family, we swapped some stories, picked up the two new (old) dressers and off we went to our second stop.  As we pulled up to the next house I was on this high because things were going so well...thinking yea for me...and then...the good deal turned bad, so bad.  Pain struck my heart soon after the lady of the house opened the door.  She asked me to please excuse her mess of  a house, she was preparing to move.  Last Sunday this mother of five, not to much older than me, lost her husband suddenly.  She can't keep the house, she is scrambling to selling most of their stuff.  She and her five boys are moving in with her parents.  She shared that one of her sons wakes up screaming in the middle of the night for his daddy...another one looks up to Heaven begging Heaven to give his daddy back. 
A total stranger shared her grief stricken heart with another stranger. This trip to Gilbert today was not about a dresser...it was about an opportunity.

If you are reading this please take 2 minutes to lift this family up in prayer.  I have her contact info and I have a couple ideas that I am praying over that I would like to do for her.  I am not sure what God would have me do???  I am overwhelmed with her situation and all that she shared.  I cannot even fathom what she is going through but I do know that God can.  I know today was orchestrated by a Sovereign God who hears our cry.

Like I said, it was a gracious reminder to me that it's ALWAYS about Him...every single second of the day.  All of a sudden my trailer of worldly goods seem so. so. completely. unimportant.

If then you were raised together with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated on the right hand of God.  Set your mind on the things that are above, not on the things that are upon the earth.  Colossians 3:1&2

No comments:

Post a Comment