Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil, and let us see what we are made of. ~Charles Spurgeon

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Mission Statement

I recently read something that suggested writing a mission statement for homeschooling, that way I will have a clearer picture on what my goals are and what I would like my end result to be.


I thought it might be a good idea for me since I find it is easy to get sidetracked by someone's comments or enthusiasm.  It is also tempting for me to make choices based on others opinions or values.


I am so new and insecure about educating my children that it gets in the way of why I chose to do it in the first place. 


One thing is for sure, I am going to do it at a snails pace. 


I am not sure how to write a mission statement, I guess I could google examples but really don't care to do that.  So I am just going to humbly go at it. If anything....it will be interesting to look back on this post years from now and see how things turned out. (I pray the Lord comes first)


Home School Mission Statement: 


To try to grasp every opportunity there is to educate my children and to use the gifts and abilities God gave me in doing so.  Whether it be math, science, relationships, art, health, mothering, cleaning, history, etc... I want the endless possibilities of educating my children to keep me up at night.  We would like to make home school a family event, not only Hubby and I teaching, but we would like the older ones to learn how to become good teachers as well by helping the younger ones. I want be able to share in all of their daily experiences and to be the one who influences them in those experiences.  To have them see the world of academics and learning through Gods eyes.  For them to receive their Christian education at home and then Church.

It is a deep passion of mine to really get to know my child, this child that God knit for me and chose for our family.  I want to study and experience the special details God has placed within my child; to really get know Gods good work and His great design in and through them. 

It is important for our family that education is flexible so that we can educate when we are away from home, just laying around or when we are driving in the car.  Some structure and organization is good and needed but I invite the organic days, in which I have seen so much education come out of.  I do not want my children to stress over homework assignments, how many papers they have to write, or late night deadlines.  Character training is very important to us so that when they do have a paper to write or a homework assignment is required, they would be diligent in doing what is required of them.  Having said that, it is also my desire that my girls would do all things and do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not to men. Colossians 3:23.  And together we will learn how to do that daily.

It is my goal to encourage and help my children use their God given gifts to their best ability, to challenge and give them a little push when needed. It is my prayer that God would bless me with creativity and to encourage their creativity and ideas,  (that I would be daring enough to try some of their crazing ideas) so that they would not loose heart.  

I trust that I will be stretched, my weaknesses will be revealed and that through it all I would be strengthen while educating my children.  Also, it is my hope that in my weakness and failings He would be glorified in their eyes.  


My home school scripture verse is Matthew 22: 37-40


And I'll end with a quote that motivates me and one that I absolutely love...


"Allow no separation to grow up between the intellectual and 'spiritual' life of children, but teach them that the Divine Spirit has constant access to their spirits, and is their Continual Helper in all the interests, duties and joys of life."   Charlotte Mason












No comments:

Post a Comment