Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil, and let us see what we are made of. ~Charles Spurgeon

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Good Reminder From Paul:

"Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled (DAWN!!!), they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.  But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."   2 Timothy 4: 2-5


This verse means more to me today then ever before.  Proof it is the living word and God is always revealing. 

In the past couple of years I have been going through some major reproofing and rebuking. (Reproof uses God's Word to unveil sin. Rebuke is the Holy Spirit's convicting work through His Word.)
I confess I was mediocre, luke warm, middle of the road, and that was acceptable to me.  I also confess the fact that I could not tell you what sound doctrine was, boy was I blind. I allowed my ears to be tickled a lot (as John MaCathur puts it so well "They prefer to be entertained by teachings that produce pleasant sensations and leave them with a good feeling. They have an itch to get their ears tickled by nice stories, positive thinking, and a little psychology. However, the gospel doesn't tickle the ears--it boxes them!  God's Word brings reproof, rebuke, and conviction of sin").  God also revealed how much of a feminist beast I was (opposite of a biblical marriage) and wow, this has been a big one for me!! (worthy of another post). I also regret the fact that I would not face hardship in a godly manor.  I either dealt with it in my own strength or would avoid it, which resulted in not gaining the good that comes from hardship.  I missed out on those blessings.

I look back in my past and say WHOA! And if the past doesn't make you say whoa, something is wrong.  I grieve my past but I am thankful for the wisdom it has brought. 

I will always be going through reproofing and rebuking.  I now look forward to the growth and blessings it will bring.... I feel as if I am more hopeful for my future.












No comments:

Post a Comment